- 13 February 2007
- Risk Impact:
- Systems Affected:
Adware.Adpopup is an adware component that records URLs visited during Web browsing, and then generates pop-up advertisements.
The files on the system are detected as Adware.Adpopup.
This adware component must be manually installed or installed as a component of another program.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 02 October 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version 20 June 2019 revision 004
- Initial Daily Certified version 21 October 2003
- Latest Daily Certified version 20 June 2019 revision 002
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 22 October 2003
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
When the Adware.Adpopup is executed, it does following:
- Records URLs visited while browsing the Web.
- Sends the collected information to specific servers and generates pop-up advertisements.
- May download an executable file from the Web, possibly an update of itself.
Note: Removing this adware component from the system will likely cause the program that installed it to not function as intended. The uninstaller generally identifies the programs that will not work after uninstallation.
- Update the virus definitions.
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Adware.Adpopup.
1. Updating the virus definitions
Symantec Security Response fully tests all the virus definitions for quality assurance before they are posted to our servers. There are two ways to obtain the most recent virus definitions:
- Running LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions: These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers once each week (usually on Wednesdays), unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate).
- Downloading the definitions using the Intelligent Updater: The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are posted on U.S. business days (Monday through Friday). You should download the definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site and manually install them. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, refer to the Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater).
The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are available: Read "How to update virus definition files using the Intelligent Updater" for detailed instructions.
2. Scanning for and deleting the infected files
- Start Norton AntiVirus and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files. For more information, read the document, "How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files."
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as infected with Adware.Adpopup, click Delete.