- 13 February 2007
- Risk Impact:
- File Names:
- Systems Affected:
Adware.EnergyPlugin displays advertisements when you are browsing the Internet.
Pop-up advertisements are displayed.
- The files are detected as Adware.EnergyPlugin.
This adware program must be manually installed.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 02 October 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version 07 May 2019 revision 006
- Initial Daily Certified version 14 June 2004
- Latest Daily Certified version 07 May 2019 revision 008
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 16 June 2004
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
When Adware.EnergyPlugin is run, it does the following:
- Copies itself to %Program Files%\DSB\Dsb.exe.
- Creates temporary log files in %Program Files%\DSB.
- Adds the value:
DSB = %Program File%\DSB\DSB.exe
to the registry key:
so that the adware runs when you start Windows.
- Searches active windows for a Web browser and displays pop-up advertisements.
The following instructions pertain to all Symantec antivirus products that support Security Risk detection.
- Update the definitions.
- Restart the computer in Safe mode.
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Adware.EnergyPlugin.
- Delete the value that was added to the registry.
1. To update the definitions
To obtain the most recent definitions, start your Symantec program and run LiveUpdate.
2. To restart the computer in Safe mode
Shut down the computer and turn off the power. Wait for at least 30 seconds, and then restart the computer in Safe mode or VGA mode. For instructions, read the document, "How to start the computer in Safe Mode ."
3. To scan for and delete the files
- Start your Symantec antivirus program, and then run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as Adware.EnergyPlugin, click Delete.
Note: If your Symantec antivirus product reports that it cannot delete a detected file, note the path and file name. Then use Windows Explorer to locate and delete the file.
4. To delete the value from the registry
WARNING: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified keys only. Read the document, "How to make a backup of the Windows registry ," for instructions.
- Click Start > Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
- Type regedit
Then click OK. (The Registry Editor opens.)
- Navigate to the key:
- In the right pane, delete the value:
- Restart the computer in Normal mode.