- 13 February 2007
- Risk Impact:
- File Names:
- Reportedly found as %Windir%\Vupti.exe,but the file name may vary.
- Systems Affected:
Dialer.Myworld is a dialer program that provides access to pornographic Web sites by dialing a high-cost phone number using the modem.
- Existence of the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\myworld
- Existence of any files detected as Dialer.Myworld
Most likely installed through pornographic Web sites.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 02 October 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version 01 February 2015 revision 020
- Initial Daily Certified version 08 December 2003
- Latest Daily Certified version 17 January 2008 revision 033
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 10 December 2003
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
When Dialer.Myworld is executed, it does the following:
- Creates the link, "Live Player" on the Windows desktop.
- Creates the registry key:
- Attempts to connect to the Internet using the modem.
The following instructions pertain to all Symantec antivirus products that support Security Risk detection.
- Update the definitions.
- Close modem connections.
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Dialer.Myworld.
- Delete the key that was added to the registry.
1. Updating the definitions
To obtain the most recent definitions, start your Symantec program and run LiveUpdate.
2. To close modem connections
This risk uses available modems to create an Internet connection, sometimes without any visible signs. In order to successfully remove this threat, ensure that all modem-based Internet connections are disconnected before proceeding. For instructions on how to do this, consult the appropriate Internet service provider, computer manufacturer, or operating system documentation.
3. Scanning for and deleting the files
- Start Norton AntiVirus and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files. For more information, read the document, "How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files."
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as Dialer.Myworld, click Delete.
Note: If your Symantec antivirus product reports that it cannot delete a detected file, write down the path and file names. Then use Windows Explorer to locate and delete the file.
4. Deleting the value from the registry
WARNING: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified keys only. Read the document, "How to make a backup of the Windows registry ," for instructions.
- Click Start, and then click Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
- Type regedit
Then click OK. (The Registry Editor opens.)
- Navigate to and delete the key:
- Exit the Registry Editor.