- 13 February 2007
- Risk Impact:
- File Names:
- Appears to be randomly named
- Systems Affected:
Dialer.Paycenter is a dialer application that can be used to access various servers, most often containing pornography.
There is an icon on the Windows desktop named "Harcore Sex."
This dialer program can be installed by visiting Web sites. When using the default settings of current versions of Internet Explorer, Mozilla, or Opera, you would have to confirm the installation.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 02 October 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version 01 February 2015 revision 020
- Initial Daily Certified version 01 October 2003
- Latest Daily Certified version 17 January 2008 revision 033
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 01 October 2003
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
Dialer.Paycenter is a dialer application that, when executed, will create a desktop icon named "Harcode Sex." Then, it will display a page where you can set some options.
You must also agree to a disclaimer before any connection is made using the modem. It is also possible to use an existing Internet connection, such as a broadband connection, to access the server.
- Update the virus definitions.
- Close modem connections.
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Dialer.Paycenter.
For specific details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.
1. Updating the virus definitions
Symantec Security Response fully tests all the virus definitions for quality assurance before they are posted to our servers. There are two ways to obtain the most recent virus definitions:
- Running LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions: These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers once each week (usually on Wednesdays), unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate).
- Downloading the definitions using the Intelligent Updater: The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are posted on U.S. business days (Monday through Friday). You should download the definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site and manually install them. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, refer to the Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater).
The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are available: Read "How to update virus definition files using the Intelligent Updater" for detailed instructions.
2. To close modem connections
This risk uses available modems to create an Internet connection, sometimes without any visible signs. In order to successfully remove this threat, ensure that all modem-based Internet connections are disconnected before proceeding. For instructions on how to do this, consult the appropriate Internet service provider, computer manufacturer, or operating system documentation.
3. Scanning for and deleting the infected files
- Start Norton AntiVirus and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files. For more information, read the document, "How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files."
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as infected with Dialer.Paycenter, click Delete.
- If there is an icon on the desktop titled "Hardcore Sex," delete it.