- 13 February 2007
- Risk Impact:
- File Names:
- Systems Affected:
Hacktool.PassReminder is a program that attempts to discover the system password.
A file is detected as Hacktool.PassReminder.
This hacktool must be manually installed.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 02 October 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version 07 May 2019 revision 006
- Initial Daily Certified version 13 February 2004 revision 003
- Latest Daily Certified version 07 May 2019 revision 008
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 13 February 2004
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
This program attempts to grant itself the debug privilege on a local computer. Then, it searches in memory for the system password of the user, who is currently logged on.
The following instructions pertain to all Symantec antivirus products that support Security Risk detection.
- Update the definitions.
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Hacktool.PassReminder.
1. Updating the definitions
To obtain the most recent definitions, start your Symantec program and run LiveUpdate.
2. Scanning for and deleting the files
- Start Norton AntiVirus and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files. For more information, read the document, "How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files."
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as Hacktool.PassReminder, click Delete.
Note: If your Symantec antivirus product reports that it cannot delete a detected file, write down the path and file names. Then use Windows Explorer to locate and delete the file.