- 13 February 2007
- Risk Impact:
- Systems Affected:
When this joke program is executed, it pretends to delete all the files and folders and formats the hard disk.
The presence of a file on the system detected as Joke.Amigo.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 02 October 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version 07 June 2019 revision 018
- Initial Daily Certified version 08 July 2002
- Latest Daily Certified version 08 June 2019 revision 002
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 12 July 2002
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
When Joke.FakeDel is executed, it performs the following actions:
- Pretends to delete all the files and folders from the C: drive.
- Pretends to format the C: drive.
- Displays four message boxes written in Spanish.
Note: Joke.Amigo is a joke program. It does not actually delete anything from the computer, but rather only pretends to do so.
These procedures pertain to all current and recent Symantec security products, including the Symantec Antivirus and Norton Antivirus product lines. Symantec Security Response tests all the virus definitions for quality assurance.
Updating the virus definitions
If your computer shows symptoms of this program, update your virus definitions.
There are two ways to obtain the most recent virus definitions:
- Running LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions: These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers once each week (usually on Wednesdays), unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate).
- Downloading the definitions using the Intelligent Updater: The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are posted on U.S. business days (Monday through Friday). You should download the definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site and manually install them. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, refer to the Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater).
The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are available: Read "How to update virus definition files using the Intelligent Updater" for detailed instructions.
Scanning for and deleting the files
This procedure runs a full system scan and deletes all the files detected as Joke.Amigo.
- Start Norton AntiVirus 2004.
- Run a full system scan.
- If the scan detects any files as Joke.Amigo, click Delete.