- 13 February 2007
- Risk Impact:
- File Names:
- Systems Affected:
Joke.Removal is a joke program that presents a user with a fake removal screen, with only one option—to remove a list of programs.
The files are detected as Joke.Removal.
Joke.Removal is a stand-alone program that requires manual execution.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 02 October 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version 07 May 2019 revision 006
- Initial Daily Certified version 04 November 2003
- Latest Daily Certified version 07 May 2019 revision 008
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 05 November 2003
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
Joke.Removal is a joke program that presents the user with a fake removal screen with only one option—to remove a list of programs. The removal process does not actually occur, and harm is not done to the system.
Note: The joke program is self-contained and does not drop any files or create any registry keys.
The following instructions pertain to all Symantec antivirus products that support Security Risk detection.
- Update the definitions.
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Joke.Removal.
1. Updating the definitions
To obtain the most recent definitions, start your Symantec program and run LiveUpdate.
2. Scanning for and deleting the files
- Start Norton AntiVirus and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files. For more information, read the document, "How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files."
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as Joke.Removal, click Delete.