- 13 February 2007
- Risk Impact:
- Systems Affected:
Dialer.AdultBrowser is a dialer program that can be used to access pornography by dialing high-cost numbers using a modem.
The files are detected as Dialer.AdultBrowser.
The most common installation method for Dialer.AdultBrowser is through Web sites that contain pornography.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 02 October 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version 07 May 2019 revision 006
- Initial Daily Certified version 05 November 2003
- Latest Daily Certified version 07 May 2019 revision 008
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 05 November 2003
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
When Dialer.AdultBrowser runs, it does the following:
- Creates the following files:
in the C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp folder.
- Opens Internet Explorer and displays the following disclaimer page.
- If you do choose to connect, the program dials a high-cost-per-minute phone number and provides access to pornographic material.
- Update the definitions.
- Close modem connections.
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Dialer.AdultBrowser.
1. Updating the definitions
To obtain the most recent definitions, start your Symantec program and run LiveUpdate.
2. To close modem connections
This risk uses available modems to create an Internet connection, sometimes without any visible signs. In order to successfully remove this threat, ensure that all modem-based Internet connections are disconnected before proceeding. For instructions on how to do this, consult the appropriate Internet service provider, computer manufacturer, or operating system documentation.
3. Scanning for and deleting the infected files
- Start Norton AntiVirus and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files. For more information, read the document, "How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files."
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as Dialer.AdultBrowser, click Delete.
- Using Windows Explorer, delete all the files that the dialer created in the C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp folder.