- 13 February 2007
- Risk Impact:
- Systems Affected:
Packed.Hacktool is a generic detection for hacktool programs that haved been processed with software packers.
Your Symantec product detects a file as Packed.Hacktool.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 15 November 2004
- Latest Rapid Release version 15 January 2013 revision 001
- Initial Daily Certified version 15 November 2004
- Latest Daily Certified version 15 January 2013 revision 002
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 17 November 2004
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
Packed.Hacktool is a generic detection for hacktool programs that have been compressed using software packers. Software that has been packed is often reduced in terms of file size and must be unpacked before the original file can be executed. The unpacking procedure is performed by a decrypting loader that decompresses the original file before executing it.
Submit samples detected as Packed.Hacktool to Symantec Security Response so that these packed hacktool and variants can be identified and assigned specific names.
Then, we can analyze them and provide more information about their nature.
For instructions on how to do this using Scan and Deliver, read How to submit a file to Symantec Security Response using Scan and Deliver .